Women in Science and Engineering
In order to maintain a supportive community on campus, the WISE program offers a variety of activities including peer mentoring, the WISE Wing, monthly events, student organization and scholarships.
Goals and Mission
The goal of the UIC Women in Science and Engineering Program, WISE, is to increase the number of women, majority and minority, students pursuing and graduating in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) disciplines, and to promote the recruitment, retention and advancement of women who have chosen academic careers. WISE supports women undergraduate and graduate students in STEM by sponsoring activities that foster a positive educational and professional environment, and enable excellence in scholarship, teaching and service. UIC WISE includes in its mandate the fields of biology, chemistry, earth and environmental science, math, physics, engineering, medicine – basic sciences, and technology.
In order to foster the next generation of STEM students, we work with K-12 schools, community groups, Girl Scouts and others who want to expose young people, boys and girls, to STEM careers through campus visits, WISE visiting the community and visits to Chicago’s scientific institutions.
UIC WISE is grateful for the ongoing support of government, corporate, and private entities. These generous organizations have made it possible for WISE to do the work that we do.
- Patricia Frank
- Illinois Board of Higher Education
- Midwest Generation
- Motorola Foundation
- National Science Foundation
- Arlene and John Norsym Family
- Northrop Grumman
- SBC Foundation
- U.S. Department of Education, Women’s Educational Equity Act
- U.S. Department of Labor, Women’s Bureau
- Leslie Carnahan receives the American Association for Cancer Research’s (AACR) Scholar-in-Training award
- Award for Graduate Research Leslie Carnahan
- Dr. Stacie Geller was recently honored as the “Women for Science, Vision & Impact” awardee by ACWIS.
- Lillian Oluchi Nwigwe presented her research poster
- 2018 Alice J. Dan Dissertation Award Recipient
- BIRCWH (31)
- CoE (36)
- News-CoE (29)
- CRWG (95)
- Uncategorized (25)
- WISE (50)
1640 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL 60608
- No events