Pauline Maki, PhD
Senior Director of Research, UIC Center for Research on Women & Gender
Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology, and Obstetrics & Gynecology
Director, Women’s Mental Health Research Program
Dr. Pauline M. Maki, Ph.D., is a Professor of Psychiatry, Psychology and Obstetrics & Gynecology at the University of Illinois at Chicago. In this role, she also serves as Director of Women’s Mental Health Research, Senior Director of Research of the Center for Research on Women and Gender, and Program Director of the K12 BIRCWH program (Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health). Dr. Maki received her Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology from The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities in 1994, and completed postdoctoral training at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1994-1996), and at the National Institute of Aging, through the NIA National Research Council Fellowship (1996-1999). Following this training, Dr. Maki was a tenure-track investigator in the NIA Laboratory of Personality and Cognition, until she joined the UIC faculty in 2002. She has a longstanding interest in the effects of sex hormones and phytoestrogens on cognition, brain function, and psychological well-being in young, midlife and elderly women. For the past 20 years, she has led a program of NIH-funded research on the role of sex steroid hormones on cognition, mood, brain function, and stress responsibility.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Data-Based Journal Articles
- Maki PM, Rubin LH, Springer G, Seaberg EC, Sacktor N, Miller EN, Valcour V, Young MA, Becker JT, Martin EM. Differences in cognitive function between women and men with HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018 Sep 1; 79(1): 101-107. PMID: 29847476; PMC6092201
- Sundermann EE, Biegon A, Rubin LH, Lipton RB, Landau S & Maki PM for ADNI. Does the female advantage in verbal memory contribute to underestimating Alzheimer’s disease pathology in women versus men? Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 2017 Jan 1;56(3):947-57. PMID: 28106548
- Rubin LH, Wu M, Sundermann EE, Meyer VJ, Smith R, Weber KM, Cohen MH, Little DM, Maki PM. Elevated stress is associated with prefrontal cortex dysfunction during a verbal memory task in women with HIV. Journal of Neurovirology. 2016 Dec 1;22(6):840-51. PMID: 27094924; PMC5071112
- Sundermann EE, Maki PM, Rubin LH, Lipton RB, Landau S, Mowrey W, Biegon A. Female advantage in verbal memory: Evidence of sex-specific cognitive reserve. Neurology. 2016 Nov; 87(18):1916-1924. PMC5100712
- Maki PM, Rubin LH, Savarese A, Drogos L., Shulman LP, Banuvar S, Walega DR Stellate ganglion blockade and verbal memory in midlife women: Evidence from a randomized trial. Maturitas. 2016 Oct; 92: 123-9. PMID: 27621249; PMC5147742.
- Rubin LH, Pyra M, Cook JA, Weber KM, Cohen MH, Martin E, Valcour V, Milam J, Anastos K, Young MA, Alden C, Gustafson DR, Maki PM. Post-traumatic stress is associated with verbal learning, memory, and psychomotor speed in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected women. J Neurovirol. 2016 Apr;22(2):159-69. PMID: 26404435; PMC4783199
- Sundermann EE, Biegon A, Rubin LH, Lipton RB, Landau S & Maki PM for ADNI. Better verbal memory in women than men in MCI despite similar levels of hippocampal atrophy. Neurology. 2016 Apr ;86(15):1368-76. PMC4831033
- Thurston RC, Aizenstein HJ, Derby CA, Sejdić E, Maki PM. Menopausal hot flashes and white matter hyperintensities. Menopause (New York, NY). 2016 Jan;23(1):27. PMID: 26057822; PMC4673042
- Walega DR, Rubin LH, Banuvar S, Shulman LP, Maki PM. Effects of stellate ganglion block on vasomotor symptoms: findings from a randomized, controlled clinical trial in postmenopausal women. Menopause. 2014 Aug;21(8):807-14. PMID: 24496086; PMC4110158.
- Maki PM, Dennerstein L, Clark M, Guthrie J, LaMontagne P, Fornelli D, Little DM, Henderson VW, Resnick SM. Perimenopausal use of hormone therapy is associated with enhanced memory and hippocampal function later in life. Brain Res. 2011 Mar 16;1378:232-43. PMC3046212.
- Maki PM, Cohen MH, Weber K, Little DM, Fornelli D, Rubin LH, Peschler P, Gould F, Martin E. Impairments in memory and hippocampal function in HIV-positive vs HIV-negative women: a preliminary study. Neurology. 2009 May 12;72(19):1661-8. PMID: 19433739; PMC2683643
- Maki PM, Drogos LL, Rubin LH, Banuvar S, Shulman LP, Geller SE. Objective hot flashes are negatively related to verbal memory performance in midlife women. Menopause. 2008 Sep-Oct;15(5):848-56. PMC2783198.
- Maki PM, Gast MJ, Vieweg AJ, Burriss SW, Yaffe K. Hormone therapy in menopausal women with cognitive complaints: a randomized, double-blind trial. Neurology. 2007 Sep 25;69(13):1322-30. PMID: 17893293.
- Maki PM, Zonderman AB, Resnick SM. Enhanced verbal memory in nondemented elderly women receiving hormone-replacement therapy. Am J Psychiatry. 2001 Feb;158(2):227-33. PMID: 11156805
- Maki PM, Resnick SM. Longitudinal effects of estrogen replacement therapy on PET cerebral blood flow and cognition. Neurobiol Aging. 2000 Mar-Apr;21(2):373-83. PMID: 10867223
Recent Peer-Reviewed Review Articles, Commentaries and Theoretical Papers
- Maki PM, Girard LM, Manson JE. Menopausal hormone therapy and cognition. BMJ 2019;364:l877 PMID: 30842090.
- Maki PM, Kornstein SG, Joffe H, Bromberger JT, Freeman EW, Athappilly G, Bobo WV, Rubin LH, Koleva HK, Cohen LS, Soares CN; Board of Trustees for The North American Menopause Society (NAMS) and the Women and Mood Disorders Task Force of the National Network of Depression Centers. Guidelines for the evaluation and treatment of perimenopausal depression: summary and recommendations. Menopause. 2018 Oct; 25(10): 1069-1085. PMID: 30179986.
- Maki PM, Freeman EW, Greendale GA, Henderson VW, Newhouse PA, Schmidt PJ, Scott NF, Shively CA, Soares CN. Summary of the NIA-sponsored conference on depressive symptoms and cognitive complaints in the menopausal transition. Menopause. 2010 Jul;17(4):815-22. PMCID: PMC2901893.
- Harlow SD, Gass M, Hall JE, Lobo R, Maki P, Rebar RW, Sherman S, Sluss PM, de Villiers TJ, STRAW+ 10 Collaborative Group. Executive summary of the Stages of Reproductive Aging Workshop+ 10: addressing the unfinished agenda of staging reproductive aging. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2012 Apr 1;97(4):1159-68. PMID: 22344196 PMCID: PMC3319184.
- UIC, IDPH receive $9.5M for maternal outcomes improvement project
- Stacie Geller, PhD 2019 Innovator of Today
- Leslie Carnahan receives the American Association for Cancer Research’s (AACR) Scholar-in-Training award
- Award for Graduate Research Leslie Carnahan
- Dr. Stacie Geller was recently honored as the “Women for Science, Vision & Impact” awardee by ACWIS.
- BIRCWH (31)
- CoE (36)
- News-CoE (29)
- CRWG (95)
- Uncategorized (27)
- WISE (50)
1640 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL 60608
- No events